Wednesday, October 28, 2009

More Recipes from the Garden: Dump Cake

Dump cake is one of my father's favorite things in the world. It's something his mom used to make for his family and something I've brought back into our family in the last few years. It's ridiculously simple, but fantastic.

Dump Cake

Ingredients:
*boxed yellow cake mix
*1 can of cherries in juice, drained
*1 can of pineapple tidbits in juice
*1/4-1/2 cup butter, cut into small cubes

vanilla iced cream, cool whip, or whipped cream for serving.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease a 13x9 baking dish. Into the bottom, pour pineapple tidbits and juice. top with the drained cherries. Sprinkle the top with the boxed cake mix, spreading evenly over the fruit and pressing down lightly. Dot the dry cake mix with the diced butter, placing them fairly evenly over the top.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the butter has melted and browned over the cake mix and the fruit juice has startled to bubble up around the edges of the cake.

Serve warm or room temperature with vanilla iced cream, cool whip, or whipped cream. It's very rich, but very delicious.

I've used a low-sugar cake mix with great results (i.e. daddy didn't complain), and I've also made smaller cakes when it was just me. Use half a box of cake mix and a smaller can of pineapple. Use all the cherries. ^_^

1 comment:

  1. OMG...My mom used to make this all the time when I was a kid. I LOVE this cake!! Brings back great memories:-)

    ReplyDelete