Friday, November 20, 2009

Photobucket

So, it just came across twitter that Fandom Gives Back has raised a total of $22,630.79. The auctions haven't even finished yet!

This just goes to show how dedicated our fandom can be to a good cause. Alex's Lemonade uses something like 89% of the funds raised for their cause - using only 11% for admin expenses, etc. That means of the $22k raised, $20,141.40 will be put towards funding a cure for childhood cancer. What can this money do? Read A Researcher's Perspective on ALSF at The Fandom Gives Back.

I know I'm likely preaching to the choir of my admittedly small audience, but that's okay. This whole fandom has just shown that we're capable of moving past the drama that's been known to happen in some of the larger fandoms, and that even though I consider myself on the periphery of the fandom a lot of the time, I was able to support this auction through donation of items which, as of right now, have a total of $150 in bids (you can see my auction here). It makes me feel good to know not only that I'm helping to raise money for a great cause, but that I'm a part of an incredible group of fans who can make anything happen.

There's still today to go, so if you haven't donated yet, please do. If you'd like to bid, please check out the auctions. If you're not in a financial place to bid or donate, please keep passing the message along in your blogs, tweets, etc, and lets see how far we can surpass the goal of 10k.

No comments:

Post a Comment